Best Time of Year to Visit the Maldives
Maldives, a paradise on earth with its natural settings of shimmering white beaches, turquoise lagoons, lush palm trees along with blue vast Ocean surrounding them presents a soothing picture for spending some time of your life.
Being a tropical country, the best time to visit Maldives is between December to April. There’s an average of 8 hours of sunshine every day and the water temperature rarely falls below 25°C. This is the peak season in the Maldives when it is the dry period with minimal rainfall and is usually considered as the ideal time for tourists to travel.
May to August is the wet period marked by monsoons. It is considered an offseason with very few tourists visiting during this period. Though December to April is considered as the Best time to visit the Maldives, there are many other factors such as the marine life, adventure activities, and best offers at the islands to be considered while traveling to the Maldives.
The Maldives is a South Asian Island country located in the Indian Ocean, to the southwest of Sri Lanka and India. With over 1,192 coral islands grouped into 26 atolls, Maldives stretches from Ihavandhippolhu Atoll in the north to the Addu City in the south. Be it honeymoon or beach wedding, family trip or a business tour, Maldives caters to everyone and their different requirements and preferences.
Covering an area of 298 square kilometers (115 sq mi), Maldives is the smallest country in Asia both regarding area as well as population. Malé, the capital of Maldives is well connected to rest of the world through the Malé International Airport, Maldives.
The Maldives is a tourist destination that can be visited any time of the year. Clear sky, the pleasing atmosphere makes it perfect to relax and just laze around with your loved ones admiring the serenity of the island. The best way to decide when to visit the Maldives depends on one’s preferences. Those who wish to have a secluded holiday without many activities can visit the place during offseason, which also gives an added advantage of having a vacation at the lowest cost and those who wish to enjoy water sports can visit the Maldives during peak season.
The island offers many activities such as water skiing, snorkeling, fishing, scuba diving, surfing, dolphin and whale watching, as well for its guests. Rich flora and fauna along with high visibility of water and suitable water temperature make these sports all the more enjoyable.
Weather in Maldives
Being a major tourist destination, Maldives is visited throughout the year. Blessed with pristine beaches, Turquoise water, and coral reefs, Maldives is usually bustling with tourists all through the year. It typically enjoys a tropical climate with dry season during December to April and wet season during May to August.
The weather in the Maldives can be broadly classified into 3 categories:
1. Low Season (May to Nov):
Rains and storm mark this season in the Maldives. However, the weather is slightly warm. This is the time when the resorts are at their cheapest best and with less crowd one can have a secluded holiday. Also, the marine life on the western side of atolls is more varied during this time.
2. Shoulder (Mar to Apr):
This is the hottest time in Maldives. The is the time when surf season starts and continues till October.
3. High Season (Dec to Feb)
This is the time when the Maldives enjoys it’s the best weather. The temperature is enjoyable with less humidity and occasional rainfall. This is the time when the resorts are at their peak prices and always full.
Average Temperature in Maldives
The Maldives is hot throughout the year with monsoons varying between dry northeast winter monsoons during December to April, and windy and stormy southwest monsoons during May to November.
The southwest monsoon is higher in northern atolls accompanied by higher humidity and more rainfall, thus making it difficult for diving. On the other hand, the northeast monsoon is normally quieter with occasional thunderstorms and light showers in the southern atolls.
The driest season is from January to April where there are no monsoons and is visible in the northern atolls.
The Maldives enjoys a uniform temperature throughout the year. Usually, the maximum temperature is around 30 °C (86 °F) and minimum temperature is 25 °C (77 °F) for most of the year.
During the period of Feb to May, the temperature is slightly higher with the maximum temperature reaching 31/32 °C (88/90 °F) and the minimum temperature reaching up to 26/27 °C (79/81 °F).
|Day time max temp||Night time min temp||Avg water temp||Avg rainfall||Avg amt of sun hours|
Are there any Cyclones in Maldives?
Given its location, Maldives can be affected by cyclones during its initial formation like the cyclone Roanu or when they brush against the island while passing towards the north side in the Indian Ocean like the cyclone Ockhi. However, being a flat surfaced island they can be damaged by rain, winds, and waves generated by the cyclones.
There is a risk of cyclones occurring more often during the period of April to December, with peak time being in May and November. But given the warm waters here, it can occur any time in the year. The southernmost atolls such as Huvadhu, Addu, Fuvahmulah which are located near the Equator, are more affected than the other atolls.
Maldives Weather by Month
Maldives is a year-round destination and the perfect time to visit the Island really depends on one’s preferences. With its pristine beaches, crystal clear waters, abundant marine life and scrumptious cuisines, Maldives mesmerize one and all with its natural beauty. A month by month breakup helps the travelers to decide for themselves when to visit this beautiful beach destination.
- The Maldives in January: The weather during this period is generally hot with low humidity. Occasional rainfall here and there is expected during this month. January is considered as a great month to visit the Maldives as it also offers good diving and snorkeling opportunities. Advanced booking during this time is highly advisable.
- The Maldives in February: This month is considered as the driest month in Maldives. With less than 70 mm of monthly rainfall, February is also considered as an excellent month to travel to the Maldives. It is also considered as a good time for diving and snorkeling offering excellent visibility.
- The Maldives in March: March witnesses rise in temperatures to a maximum of 31°C. Occasional rainfall is also expected during this time offering relief from the hot weather. Ideal for diving and snorkeling, March also sees the start of surfing season in Maldives.
- The Maldives in April: April is another hot month of the Maldives and it marks the end of Maldives dry season. One can often witness showers in the middle of the month along with high humidity. It is still considered a great period for diving and snorkeling.
- The Maldives in May: Though May is hot in the Maldives, it is also the start of the wet season. There is a risk of storms and rains during this period. Diving visibility is slightly reduced during this period.
- The Maldives in June: June is another month when one can expect huge rainfall. Resorts offer great deals during this time and if one wants to enjoy the resort’s facilities this is an ideal time to visit. Though diving visibility is reduced during this period there is a huge possibility of seeing Manta rays and whale sharks.
- The Maldives in July: July is usually hot and humid with heavy rainfall in short bursts. This is also a great time to enjoy deals at the resorts and offers a good time for surfing. Just as in June, diving visibility is reduced in July but one can see Manta rays and whale sharks. 26th July is celebrated as independence day in the Maldives, hence one can witness celebrations in the islands.
- The Maldives in August: August is hot and humid with short downpours of heavy rains. Not an ideal time for diving but offers at various resorts still make it a popular time to visit.
- The Maldives in September: September is one of the wettest months in Maldives. It sees an average maximum temperature of 30°C. Diving visibility is reduced but one can spot Manta rays and whale sharks.
- The Maldives in October: October is the wettest month of Maldives with rainfall during most of the day. It also witnesses high humidity. October marks the end of surfing season in the Maldives and is also considered as the last month of the year to spot Manta rays and whale sharks.
- The Maldives in November: November sees the end of the wet season in the Maldives. There may be light showers but they pass quickly.
- The Maldives in December: December is usually hot and dry with occasional showers in the middle of the month. Resorts are usually packed for Christmas and New Year celebrations.
Best time to visit Maldives for Honeymoon
A wedding is the heavenly union of two souls. The art of understanding each other doesn’t start from the day of the wedding. The honeymoon is considered as the most memorable event after the wedding as the couple starts knowing each other during this romantic vacation.
Although there are so many romantic locations on earth, Maldives stands unique with its breathtaking natural beauty and privacy. Enjoy the amazing sunset in the privacy of sensual Maldives beaches. Enjoy walking in the feather soft white sands hand in hand with the soft touch of waves and cool breeze. Those beautiful moments always shine in your memory.
Though December to April is considered to be the best time of the year to visit the Maldives, since honeymoon couples would like to spend some lonely time in the romantic backdrop of nature and understand each other well, its recommended to visit during off-season (May to November) when the number of tourists is minimal and resorts are at its best price.
Best time to visit Maldives for Surfing
Maldives is one of the most visited destinations for Surfing. The crystal clear waters and the warm waves passing by making the Maldives a surfer’s paradise. The Maldives offers surfing tours in luxury ships as well as in the waters of the islands. If your travel partner is not an ardent surfer, they can still enjoy the luxuries of the ship.
Surf season in the Maldives begins from late February to mid November with best waves witnessed from March to May and then again in September towards the end of November.
North Male Atoll and the Outer Atolls are the two major surfing areas with the prime season being from April to October in North Male Atoll, and from February to April in Outer Atolls. April is the common season in both the atolls making it the best time to visit the Maldives for surfing.
Best time to visit Maldives for Scuba Diving
The Maldives is more than just a beach destination, the underwater marine life and colorful coral reef attract divers from all over the world making it one of the best diving destinations in the world.
The dry season in the Maldives (December to April) is considered as the best season for diving due to high visibility, calm sea, longer sunny days and varied marine life. However, some people would also consider the wet season as an ideal time for diving as it is the best time to spot whale sharks and Manta rays.
There are a number of diving sites in various atolls in the Maldives that one can choose from. The wide variety of underwater marine life, the coral reefs, and crystal clear waters make diving a memorable experience in the Maldives which one should not miss.
Best time to visit Maldives for Snorkeling
The Maldives offers a breathtaking snorkeling experience for beginners as well as experienced. Islands offering good quality house reef are considered as the best places for snorkeling.
Just as in the case of Scuba diving, dry season (December to April) is considered as the best season for snorkeling when the weather is at its best and the visibility is quite high at this time.
The wet season is marked by rainfall, storms and low visibility. However, it is the best time to spot Manta rays and whale sharks. If you plan accordingly, snorkeling can be enjoyed any time of the year in the Maldives.
The Maldives is a perfect place to enjoy your vacation with your loved ones and make some beautiful memories to remember throughout your life. You will definitely have a splendid time traveling across the Island witnessing the beautiful charms it lays upon you and make your visit worthwhile.